This document provides a suggested structure of Board positions and responsibilities. It includes a general Board of Directors and an Executive Committee. These roles and responsibilities should be explained in the league’s bylaws.
This person is elected or appointed to serve as the leader of the youth football organization. It requires someone who is fundamentally sound in leading a group of adult volunteers to ensure a positive youth football and cheer experience for athletes, coaches, game officials and parents. The responsibilities of the commissioner/president may include working with individuals on the Board of Directors to ensure the following:
- Oversee entire operation of FFL including, but not limited to the completion of:
- Risk management measures (insurance, emergency action plan)
- Ensuring teams have practice and game facilities and equipment
- Game schedules
- Securing officials and medical staff
- Coaching recruitment and development
- Player registration
- Ensuring athletes have proper equipment and uniforms
- Ensure actions of the Board of Directors are in accordance with the League’s Bylaws, and in furtherance of the League’s Mission and Vision
- Address and/or delegate response to complaints
- Respond to escalated issues by the Board Officers
- Review and approve expense forms for League and Team expenses
This person’s role is largely determined by the duties delegated by the president. As such, they should be able to take on delegated tasks and see them through to completion. The vice president also serves the president’s role if that person is absent. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Work with the President to address any issues that arise
- Support the President in soliciting outside businesses for sponsorship
- Support the President in organizing community outreach/awareness activities and events
- Support the President in promoting/advertising the league
This person assumes the responsibility for the financial arm of the organization. Those duties may include: preparing checks for signature, or co-signature by two directors, as directed by the organization’s bylaws, dispensing league funds as approved by the board of directors, providing reports on the status of the league’s funds, maintaining financial records, and preparing league/season budgets. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Record, report and deposit all money submitted into league accounts.
- Dispense league funds as approved by the board of directors
- Pay all bills for Fremont Football League on time
- Prepare monthly financial statements for the Board of Directors
- Assist the Board of Directors to establish the League budget
- Notify the Board if League and/or Team Accounts exceed the budgeted expenditures
- Responsible for all taxes and tax information filings with Agency
- Collect and file records of all League inventory from President and Fundraising Director
- Obtain filled out W-9 forms for all League contractors (i.e., Referees, EMTs and other field personnel) and create file for League records.
- Submit all financial records at the end of the fiscal year to an external auditor for review
- Provide League Forms to report income and expenses.
This person’s role requires a highly-organized individual who communicates important messages throughout the organization. The secretary typically assists with the registration process, records meeting minutes, is responsible for sending out notices of meetings and maintains a record of league’s activities. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Maintain a record of league’s activities
- Record minutes for all Board meetings
- Send out all League correspondence and notices (i.e. calendars, meetings, updates, etc.)
This person is responsible for overseeing, and directing the league in, all matters concerning cheerleading. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Work with Vice-President and Webmaster for promoting the Cheer program.
- Plan and coordinate the recruitment of cheer coaches and present final coach recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Submit monthly cheer updates at BOD meetings
- Attend all sign-up registrations; answer questions from parents and cheerleaders, and collect any additional cheer registration records and paperwork
- Oversee, supervise and direct Cheer Managers
- Ensure that all cheer coaches understand League and Cheer rules and procedures
- Ensure all FFL Cheer rules are followed
- Plan and coordinate participation at all cheer competitions
- Order and maintain all Cheer uniforms and equipment
- Develop the cheer program budget and obtain Board approval
- Submit financial reports for all cheer programs to the Board.
- Review, investigate and respond to all coach and parent’s questions and complaints in a timely manner
- Assist Rules Director and Rules Committee in the development of League rules related to cheer.
Athletic Director (Coaching and Safety Coordinator/Contact Football Operations)
This person is responsible for overseeing, and directing the League in, all matters concerning the general operation of the contact football program. This includes the development of coaches within the organization to ensure a better, safer experience for every player, all facets of the league registration process and player assignment, securing facilities, and ensuring the smooth function of teams. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Plan and coordinate the recruitment of football coaches and present final coach recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Work with the Board of Directors to establish a minimum threshold of coaching education to ensure every coach has been certified by USA Football’s Level 1 Coach Certification and has been educated on the proper fundamentals and key elements of Heads Up Football.
- Host coach training sessions throughout the year and spend time observing practices, scrimmages, games, and the overall quality of coaching throughout the organization to ensure proper safety methodologies are used.
- Coordinate League football clinics
- Coordinate Positive Coaching Alliance training for all coaches
- Audit football equipment for proper fit on players and ensure that it is in good operating condition
- Address safety complaints by parents and escalate concerns to the Board
- Manage all aspects of the league’s relationship with USA Football
- Disseminate and collect all personnel and disclosure forms
- Ensure that all board officers, coaches, business managers, and cheer managers submit a personnel and disclosure form for each season.
- Coordinate background checks for all league personnel and submit results to appropriate coordinators
- Createplayer registration schedules.
- Attend all sign-up registrations; answer questions from parents and players.
- Maintain all records pertaining to playing members and team rosters and provide League with copies of documents and computer files.
- Adhere to policies established for team formation.
- Notify coaches and parents on team changes and/or missing paperwork.
- Ensure that there is appropriate equipment to operate fields for games.
- Assist Rules Director and Rules Committee in the development of League rules.
This person is responsible for overseeing, and directing the League in, all matters concerning the flag football program. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Coordinate Spring program with the City of Fremont (COF):
- Facilitate completion of all contracts between COF and FFL.
- Provide program description to COF, for fliers and website, to be distributed to COF residents.
- Ensure COF provides and maintains sufficient game fields
- Prepare and supervise Flag Football coaches
- Prepare parents for the season
- Work with Vice-President and Webmaster to promote the Flag Football program, schedule, and requirements.
- Coordinate the setup and clean-up of the game fields
- Provide Flag Football reports at BOD meetings
- Manage player registration and player distribution to teams
- Ensure appropriate staffing (referees, medical professionals) for all games
- Maintain Flag Football rule book; distribute to referees and coaches
- Coordinate picture day for Flag Football
- Order all necessary equipment including uniforms
- Work with the Treasurer and other Board officials to ensure the success and profitability of the Flag Football Program
This person works with the President, Cheer Director, Athletic Director and other Board Members in the development and updating of the League’s Rule Book and Bylaws. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Know and understand League rules
- Ensure all additions and changes are put into the League’s Rules Book/Bylaws and updated for public dissemination.
- Responsible to oversee and manage the Rules Committee with appropriate staffing.
- Work with the Treasurer to update the League’s Financial and Operating Policies that accompany the League’s Rule Book.
- Responsible for the distribution of Rules Books to all Board Members including an electronic copy that can be posted to the league website.
- Point of contact for Referees. Generate a list of Rule changes for Referee training before beginning of the season.
This person is responsible for working with fundraising partners to ensure the success of initiatives that meet the organization’s financial goals. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Schedule and chair fundraising meetings.
- Oversee all Business Manager of League’s teams.
- Direct to Business Managers in the management of team accounts
- Oversee the operation of the League snack bar
- Work with League President and Board of Directors to coordinate League fundraising activities.
- Schedule the team work schedules and provide Business Managers with Team Work Duties.
- Coordinate League Picture Day including vendor selection, team schedules and notifications.
This person is responsible for overseeing all content associated with the organizations website and online platforms. This includes its registration system, rosters, schedules, directions, social media and overall content strategy. It is important that this person is always informed on all matters related to the league. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Update League website with current League information.
- Coordinate social media updates with website updates
- Post the most current team pictures on website along and team standings
- Ensure website is functional and that all links and buttons work.
- Submit domain registration paperwork to Treasurer to ensure League website is paid in a timely manner.
- Manage League email addresses and reflectors.
- Develop and send communications using the league email distribution list
- Provide quarterly reports on web usage and analytics.
- Create login accounts for Cheer Managers, Business Managers and Coaches to access their respective password protected areas of the League website.
Sergeant at Arms
This person is responsible for ensuring timeliness and control at all League meetings. Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Calls Board Meeting to order.
- Keeps all Board Members orderly; prevents talking out of order/off agenda.
- Verifies procedure and vote count for all motions
- Call Board Meeting for adjournment.